One of my favorite things to do with my kids is be in the kitchen. It’s an amazing way to connect, and pass my love for baking on to them. When we are in the kitchen, I am spending quality time with my boys, and at the same time I am talking with them, playing with them, and teaching them. It is a chance for me to catch up on what is going on at school, friendships, highs and lows, all while making something delicious to share. These moments are fleeting and any chance I can get to slow down and spend a moment with them is special.
This time of year, as the holidays approach, we find ourselves in the kitchen more often than ever. It’s the time of year for baking. Halloween is right around the corner, and while we tend to think of it as a candy holiday, there are some super cute (and mummy…err yummy) treats to be made too!
Like these adorable Mummy Rice Krispie Treats!
These are super easy to whip up in a snap (crackle and pop…see what I did there.) They are so darn cute too!
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 3 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp for greasing the pan
- 1 cup white chocolate candy melts (like Wilton's Candy Melts or Almond Bark)
- Candy eyes (found in the baking section at the grocery store)
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper, making sure there is some hanging off the edge (to grab onto later). Grease the parchment with butter. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter and the marshmallows until all the marshmallows are melted and its smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add in the rice cereal and stir until well coated.
- Using buttered hands (or a buttered spatula) evenly press the mixture into your prepared pan. Set aside and allow to cool. Once cooled, use the parchment overhang to remove from the pan and cut into 12 even rectangles. (A greased/buttered pizza cutter works great for this!)
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate candy in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Carefully spoon the melted chocolate into a ziploc bag and seal the bag. Snip off a very small piece of on corner.
- On each rice krispie treat, put two small dots and add the candy eyes.
- Now, make your mummy by drizzling random lines all over. Cover part of the eyes, overlap, go straight and diagonal. Once they are all finished, let them sit for at least 15-20 minutes to allow the chocolate to cool and harden. Then enjoy!
These little mummy treats would be so cute for a party or wrapped up for Halloween treats at school. Or just as a sweet surprise for the kids (or grownups) at home. Enjoy and tell us what you think below!