The holidays are over, family and guests have left, and the kids are back at school. Real life is back in full swing (or attempting to be) and that means back to schedules. Which means sports games and dance lessons and doctors appointments and work meetings. That means B-U-S-Y!
I don’t know about you, but when things get busy one thing I always forget about it dinner. Seems funny, because well, everyone needs to eat right? But, sometimes you just forget, and need something quick and easy, that doesn’t involve driving through the nearest fast food place (remember those resolutions to be healthier?)
This recipe is perfect for those busy nights when you need something on the table quick! Plus, it’s a family pleaser, even my youngest (1 1/2) loves this! Added bonus is it’s all done in one bowl and one pan, so minimal dishes!
I have also included a recipe for Homemade Fajita Seasoning that is even better than store bought, and just as easy to make! Multiply the recipe to keep some on hand!
- Homemade Fajita seasoning (see below) or 1 packet fajita seasoning
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced in strips
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut in strips
- 8 6 inch flour tortillas
- cilantro (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a large sheet pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl toss onions and bell peppers with 1 tbsp oil. Spread peppers and onions on prepared sheet pan in a single layer. Place pan in the oven while you prepare the chicken.
- In the samw bowl you used for the peppers and onions, toss the chicken strips with 1 tbsp oil and the fajita seasoning. (If you are using the homemade seasoning below, use the entire recipe amount)
- Take the pan out of the oven and mix the chicken with the peppers and onions, right on the pan. Be careful, it will be hot!
- Make sure everything is in an even layer, and place back in the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with tortillas. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream if desired.
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional, only use if you want added heat)
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and use entire recipe in fajita recipe above.