It’s the most recognized date night of the year – are you ready? Most of us could use a little update in our looks before Valentine’s Day – especially if it could be a special moment for you and the hubby. Reservations are overbooked everywhere, so you might as well look cute while you wait for an hour and a half in the Red Lobster lobby, right?
With that in mind, here are some tips for getting your makeup right on Valentine’s Day:
- DON’T rely on red. Sure, for years it’s been the V-Day go-to: red lips, blah blah. But think about it: you’re probably wearing something in the pink or red category, so it’ll look matchy-matchy; and it’s not practical on a night that, let’s face it, will end in some kissing. Both you and him will have it smudged all over your faces.
- DO make sure to work in some marsala. If you haven’t heard, it’s the 2015 color of the year and since it’s a neutral-y pink, it’ll go perfectly with your V-Day look. Plus, you can eat chicken Marsala with it all ironically.
- DON’T skip the liquid. Liquid liner, that is! Since the ’50s, liquid black eyeliner has been a symbol of sexiness. Try a thick wing on top with nothing on bottom for definitive bombshell romance.
- DO get your glow on. Next to candlelight, a little shimmer and shine looks simply magical. Keep your skin glowing by staying hydrated with water all day long, and dust a highlighting powder just above the apples of your cheeks to add some unnatural glow. (Remember, this is shimmer, not glitter. There’s a difference – one says true love, and one says drag show.)
- DON’T drink red wine with dinner. No matter what makeup you did, no one looks good after a few glasses of Cab. It stains the insides of your lips and makes them pucker and wrinkle, and it could make you flush (and not in an attractive way).
- DO add bombshell hair to any look. They say the first thing people notice about your appearance is your hair, so no matter what look you choose, you can’t go wrong with some massive bombshell curls.
- DON’T try anything crazy. This is a night where you want to be comfortable, not constantly thinking about whether you’re pulling off this ivy green look or if your contour is showing. If you’re going to try something totally new, make it something neutral colored or keep it to only one thing. You shouldn’t be stressing on Valentine’s – you should be snuggling with your hot date!
What are your Valentine’s Day beauty go-to’s?