Nothing beats a batch of homemade cookies.
A warm batch of oatmeal cookies fresh out of the oven may be my favorite.
Buttery and sweet, they go perfectly with a tall glass of cold milk, amiright?
These cookies are for the purist. Just plain ole oatmeal cookies with plenty of oats, a generous amount of vanilla, and a hearty dose of local butter from Danzeisen Dairy.
A good quality butter really does make all the difference in a recipe like this, where you want that buttery goodness to shine, and this local butter is delicious! (And can we talk about the adorable little glass jar it comes in!?)
I think the perfect oatmeal cookies are soft and chewy with just the right amount of crunch around the edges, and this recipe delivers just that.
These cookies are easy to make, simple ingredients and even better, they do not need to be chilled before baking. I don’t know about you, but I am impatient and want my cookies now, not 2 hours from now! Grab a glass of Danzeisen Dairy milk and you have the perfect afternoon (or anytime) snack.
- 1 cup Danzeisen Butter (or any salted butter)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional but so good)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda (and cinnamon if using.)
- Carefully add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and stir until just combined.
- Gently stir in the oats, being careful not to over-mix.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheet, leaving space between cookies, as they will spread. I fit 9 on each sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Allow to cool slightly on the pan then move to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm with a tall glass of milk!
- If you do not use a salted butter, then up the amount of salt to 1/2 tsp.
- Do not use quick oats for this recipe. The old fashioned oats help yield the soft chewy texture. Quick oats will produce a more cakey cookie.
Are you an oatmeal cookie purist and like them plain like me? Or do you like additions like chocolate chips or raisins?