Up until recently, my only dance with tequila included premixed margaritas or cheap shots with lots of salt, lime, sour faces and morning regrets.
I am proud to say that those memories are far, far behind me now.
I have known a few strong, successful, independent women who are avid tequila drinkers. Something I couldn’t even imagine as I used to sip my whiskey and coke (or wine if I was feeling fancy) they would always offer and I would always decline because, truth be told; I was scared. Tequila is intimidating. And with nothing but crappy tequila memories from my past, I didn’t have a whole lot of faith left that I would even enjoy it.
Then, I took about a year and a half sabbatical from drinking at all when I got pregnant with my daughter. As a new breastfeeding mom, I was not in any rush to have a drink but, eventually the day came when I needed an adults night. Some time away from all the diapers and tears.
To my surprise, none of my old go to drinks tasted at all good. Not even a little bit. It’s like my only taste buds that “changed” with my pregnancy all pertained to alcohol. I like different beers, I can’t stand the taste of wine, reds and whites alike and my trusty whiskey and coke is just not doing it for me anymore…
My mother in law suggested I try it and after so many years of saying no, I thought “why not?” My husband agreed that I would like the taste of her “blue bottle” and so I finally gave in. And fell in love…
I usually drink it with lime because it compliments it well. It’s smooth going down and doesn’t at all burn in the back of your throat like some other tequilas. It just nicely warms your belly. It is DELICIOUS. Since then I have tried some others that I have liked and disliked, but the “blue bottle” is my favorite.
When I am feeling fancy I use it to make this yummy little tequila cocktail. It’s not too sweet like lots of margaritas are. It is perfectly refreshing with just a dash of heat. Pair it with a big bowl of chips and Salsa, Guac or warm Queso Dip and I am a happy lady. What are some of your favorite tequila drinks? Let me know what I should try next on my crazy little tequila journey.
Happy National Tequila Day!
- 1 Lime
- 1 Jalapeño
- Simple Syrup
- Tequila of Your Choice
- (Sparkling Water or Ginger Ale - if desired)
- Sea Salt & Chili Powder
- Slice up 3 or 4 pieces of jalapeño about 1/4 inch thick. Make sure to devein the jalapeño pieces by cutting out the white insides where the seeds are, the veins and seeds are where the spice is. However, if your feeling spicy you can leave 1 or 2 of the slices with the insides intact.
- Toss those into your shaker with the juice of one full lime. Add 1 shot of simple syrup and muddle them all together. (If you don't have a muddler, the end of a wooden spoon will also work just fine)
- Once you've got the jalapeños all good and mashed (about 10-15 smashes) pour in 2 shots of tequila. SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE!
- (If you would like a salted rim) You should have an extra lime for garnish, use a piece of it to wipe around the rim of your glass. Then dip the wet rim into a plate of salt. I like to add a dash of Chili Powder to my rim salt to give it a bit of heat and an added depth of flavor.
- Once your rim is salted, add ice and pour in your tequila mixture. Then top with a Seltzer Water or Ginger Ale, if desired.
- You can add a slice of lime, jalapeño and a Sprigg of cilantro to jazz it up whether you are throwing a party or drinking by yourself.
- This makes 1 drink, so multiply this recipe to have enough for friends! Enjoy!